Friday, January 24, 2014

No Such Thing


No Such Thing ~John Mayer

Welcome to the real world, she said to me condescendingly. Take a seat. Take your life, plot it out in black and white. Well I never lived the dream of the prom kings and the drama queens. I'd like to think the best of me is still hiding up my sleeve. They love to tell you stay inside the lines, but something's better on the other side. So the good boys and girls take the so called right track. Faded white hats, grabbing credits maybe transfers. They read all the books, but they can't find the answers. And all of our parents, they're getting older. I wonder if they've wished for anything better while in their memories tiny tragedies. I wanna run through the halls of my high school. I wanna scream at the top of my lungs. I just found out there's no such thing as the real world. Just a lie you've got to rise above. I just can't wait til my 10 year reunion. I'm gonna bust down the double doors. And when I stand on these tables before you, you will know what all this time was for. I am invincible as long as I'm alive. 

It dawned on me this morning as I was listening (while piddling around the house) to Y2K on cable (love this channel, by the way) that I truly get what the words to this song mean to me. I did all that: "welcome to the real world" "take your life, plot it out in black and white" "stay inside the lines" "take the so called right track" "hats, credits, transfers" and with all of that still couldn't "find the answers". Definitely a workaholic ready for success in the corporate world. Just a heart attack waiting to happen with an early end to life having not experienced all I really wanted to experience. Glad I began to wake out of my dark slumber (see yesterday's post) and there is NO SUCH THING as the real world. The world is what you make it. 

Basically, this song is awesome. Whether you care for JM or not, the song itself is right on. I feel blessed that at my ripe old age of 30 (okay, almost 31) I've figured out that money and things do NOT equal happiness or as JM says, "just a lie you've got to rise above". "Happiness" with life is SO MUCH MORE! Instead of climbing up the metaphorical ladder I've been climbing down and paving my own way. It's not the easier choice; it's a daring choice and even in it's tough moments (life will have those regardless) I'm "happier" with life. Truly the right choice of words may be: I'm a better me. 

We are not invincible, we're mortal, but JM is right, as long as we're alive we're invincible. Take a chance, take a leap. It's worth it. Something's better on the other side. Rise above the lie. Live the life you're really meant to live. Be who you really want to be. Take out societal (this includes friends & family, but I do hold their cares closer to my heart than society's) judgement and expectations...what makes you happy? (Just a heads up now, it's never just one thing...there's more to who we are than one thing. And the make up of that is different for everyone.)


My favorite line of this Mayer song is "I'd like to think the best of me is still hiding up my sleeve". Because no matter how "far" I've come in my journey (with many more lessons on life to learn- I am only 30, okay almost 31, and hoping I haven't even lived half of my life yet), I'd like to think the best of me is still hiding up my sleeve <3

please copy, paste & enjoy :)
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMB93xcJYE8 









No comments:

Post a Comment